Monday, February 29, 2016
Saturday, February 27, 2016
( Brought To You by Puissant Croissants, Bedraggled Bagels and Estranged Pastries)
Guests: Alex Tait of The Spandettes and Gregg Lawless
Canadians in Asterisk’d RED.
*Fish & Bird ~ Something In The Ether ~ Something In The Ether ~ @ The Burdock Sunday
* Federal Lights ~ Into The Ground ~ Coeur De Lion NEW DISK~ @ The Monarch Tavern tonight
* Rae Spoon ~ I Hear Them Calling ~ Armour NEW DISK~ @ Holy Oak Sunday & Monday
* Dralms ~ Object Of Desire ~ Shook
5:20 Tremble Clefs
* Clint Ryan & Graham Pilkington ~ I'm In My Wine ~ @ Breakwater BBQ & Smokehouse Saturday for The Cold Weather Blues Fest
Pura Fé ~ If I Was My Guitar ~ A Blues Night In North Carolina ~ @ Music Gallery tonight
5:30 A Spandette Universe
* The Spandettes ~ Over Me / Interview with Alex Tait / If You Wanna Stand By Me / Lovers Summer Day ~ Sequin Sunrise NEW DISK~ CD Release @ Revival next Friday 4 March
The Jimmy Castor Bunch ~ It's Just Begun ~ Vinyl Soundtrack NEW DISK
5:45 Torontifical Force
Kristine Schmitt ~ Hop On Awhile With Me ~ Entry for CBC's Song In The 6ix Contest
* The Bills ~ Hittin' The Do ~ Trails Of Tales NEW DISK ~ @ Festival Hall Calgary Sunday, 6 March
* Corin Raymond ~ Morning Glories ~ Hobo Jungle Fever Dreams NEW DISK
* Kevin Breit ~ Pukka Orchestra`s Might As Well Be On Mars ~ Jukebox Season
6:00 Now Playing
* Gregg Lawless ~ Piece Of Me ~ Interview / Angelie (live) / Marcella (live) @ Hugh`s Room Saturday
* Jayme Stone feat. Margaret Glaspy ~ Maids When You`re Young ~ The Lomax Project @ Hugh`s Room Monday 15 March
6:20 Jazz Mines
Mingus Big Band ~ Passions Of A Woman Loved ~ Tonight At Noon ~ Mingus Tribute @ The Rex Tuesday 1 March
* Sam Broverman ~ Underneath The Apple Tree ~ Feelings Of Affection EP NEW DISK ~ @ Homesmith Bar tonight
* Peripheral Vision ~ Says You ~ Spectacle: Live ~ @ Tranzac Tuesday 1 March Juno Nominee For Group Jazz Album Of The Year
Joan Baez ~ Tears Of Rage ~ Any Day Now ~ @ Koerner Hall Saturday
Troye Sivan ~ Youth Remix ~ @ Danforth Music Hall tonight
Thursday, February 25, 2016
Some subset of Alex, Maggie and Lizzie, otherwise known as Toronto's hypertight disco / funk trio
will be reconnoitering the scenes and reminiscing on the circumstances leading up to
their second CD, debuting next Friday at Revival Bar. They should be cresting in on
a gravity wave at around 5:30.
And at 6:00, intergalactic song-shootin' hombre Gregg Lawless will be live in Orbit to foretell of the amazement potential of his upcoming Duets show at Hugh's Room this Saturday . He will be featuring prime examples of the best of Toronto talent in his band and as singing cohorts. There may be surprises involved. Only one way to find out. Tune in to Radio Regent Friday between 5 and 7:00. What goes up, must go round.
Sunday, February 21, 2016
Saturday, February 20, 2016
( Brought To You by J, Pierpoint Groggins, General Jubilation T. Cornpone & Alley Oop )
Guests: Rebecca Campbell and David Francey
Canadians in Asterisk’d RED.
Smokey Robinson (born February 19, 1940) ~ Aqui Con Tigo (Being With You) / Eric Bodi Rivera Mix ~ Motown Remixed vol.II
Dionne Warwick ~ Caravan ~ Snowboy Presents The True Jazz Dance Sessions
Albert King ~ Cold Sweat ~ James Brown's Funky Summer (Mojo)
Infected Mushroom Feat. Perry Farrell ~ Killing Time ~ The Legend Of The Black Shawarma ~ @ The Phoenix tonight
5:20 Tributaries And Watersheds
* Rebecca Campbell ~ Interview / Brand New Day / A Good Dog Is Lost (Live) ~ @ Hugh's Room Sunday for A Tribute To Ron Hynes
* Ron Hynes ~ Roy Orbison Came On ~ Cryers' Paradise
* Rosemary Phelan ~ Red Dress ~ What Sings In The Blood ~ Tribute To Rosemary Phelan @ St. Nicholas Anglican Church Saturday
Sinead O'Connor ~ Trouble Will Soon Be Over ~ God Don't Never Change : The Songs Of Blind Willie Johnson NEW DISK
6:00 En Parlant Francey
* David Francey ~ Blue Girl / Interview / Empty Train ~ Empty Train NEW DISK~ @ Hugh's Room Thursday / Friday Feb. 25-26
* Donovan Woods ~ Do I Know Your Name? ~ Hard Settle, Ain't Troubled NEW DISK
* Bonfire ~ What About Your Girl ? ~ Mom's Garden EP
* Jordan Klassen ~ Glory B. ~ Javelin NEW DISK
* Rich Brown ~ Promessa ~ Abeng ~ @ Jazz Bistro tonight & Saturday Juno Nominee Best Jazz Album Of The Year
* Amanda Tosoff ~ Simultaneous Windows ~ Words NEW DISK ~ @ The Music Gallery, Thursday, March 10
Camille Bertault ~ Les Poches Vides ~ En Vie NEW DISK
Michael Bloomfield (July 28, 1943 – February 15, 1981) ~ Lo, Though I Am With Thee ~ Mike Bloomfield (Midnite Jazz And Blues Collection)
Fairfield Four ~ Are You Ready? ~ The Gospel Songs Of Bob Dylan (produced by Jeffrey Gaskill)
Rickie Lee Jones ~ Dark Was The Night Cold Was The Ground ~ God Don't Never Change : The Songs Of Blind Willie Johnson (produced by Jeffrey Gaskill) NEW DISK
Saint Germain ~ Real Blues (Run Island Band Jazz Mix)~ @ Danforth Music Hall Thursday 7 April / with Toronto Music News and Listings
Monday, February 15, 2016
A Jon-Brooks-Eye view of the Saturday night crowd at Dora Keough's
Denim was thoroughly tucked and poorboy caps were pulled down to cover as much ear area as was fashionably possible this past frosty weekend in Toronto's Danforth / Broadview matrix, as families, friends and fiddlers got down to some earnest song-doings.
And yes, there wuz antlers.
Eyes were a-twinkle with joy, cider and wind-chill factors as a storm of blues, ballads and plunk-rock hovered for three days over this fourteenth annual festival of rootsy Americana and Canadiana music.
Officiating luminaries Danny Marks and Festival Founder Brian Gladstone
Prime guitaristas Brian Cober, Ben Sures and David Essig at The Black Swan's slide workshop.
Highlights included workshops, song swaps, showcases and one particulary significant tribute on Sunday to the recently departed Ron Hynes. Not only a major representative of the honey flow of Newfoundland lyricism, he was the creator of an inestimable contribution to the world-renowned Canadian Songbook. His death was in the same order of irrevocable heartbreak that his lyrics portrayed.
Shawna Caspi and Jory Nash with incendiary smile power in evidence.
On hand to celebrate his music were the top seed of Canadian singers and songwriters. The finale of Sonny's Dream, led by Shawna Caspi, although set up as an crowd singalong, produced such a haunting blend of strong emotion and harmony that the audience kept a silent respect for the power of the moment.
L-R @ The Ron Hynes Tribute: Tony Quarrington, Jon Brooks, Grit Laskin, Julian Taylor, Jory Nash, Shawna Caspi and Rebecca Campbell
The permanent smiles and easy camaraderie of the crowds, musicians and volunteers made the whole thing go along smoothly, and the weekend was another success for community and culture in this city. One criticism was the failure of some venues to manage their indoor temperatures comfortably. The question of perhaps extending the event to include Family Day next year was also on many peoples' minds.
The clarion voice of Joanne Crabtree rang out over the NBA coverage with anthems and authentic folk songs at Terri-o's sports bar Saturday.
Rebecca Campbell and Ben Sures settling their bar tab semi-amicably.
Tia Brazda set the jazz-mometer to hot at Dora's Friday night.
Saturday, February 13, 2016
Commissioner of Selection: Paul Corby
( Brought To You by Genius In A Bottle, Truth Fairies & Rumpled Statesmen )
Guests: Kevin Hearn of Thin Buckle and Dave Pike & Esther Wheaton of Onion Honey
Canadians in Asterisk’d RED.
* Drumhand ~ Booby Trap ~ *Exclusive* ~ @ Winterfolk XIV this weekend
* Kevin Hearn ~ Floating / Interview ~ Days In Frames ~ NEW DISK ~ @ The Burdock next Friday & Saturday 19-20 Feb.
5:15 Ecstatic Electricity
Tony Allen feat. AYO ~ Ayenlo ~ Secret Agent
Burundi Drums ~ Uri La Yambo ~ Batimbo
* Onion Honey~Sleepy-Eyed John ~Pocket Pair NEW DISK / Interview / Jeannie & The Sailor (live) / Sitting On Top Of The World ~ @ Winterfolk XIV this weekend
* Chloe Watkinson ~ Toronto Romantics ~ Park Eddy NEW DISK ~ CD Release tonight @ The Cameron House and Saturday @ Grossman's Tavern
* Frazey Ford ~ Weather Pattern ~ Indian Ocean ~ @Harbourfront Center Wednesday 17 Feb. ~ JUNO NOMINEE Best Contemporary Roots Album
* Jane Lewis ~ One More Day ~ Stay With Me @ Winterfolk XIV this weekend
* The Do Good Badlies ~ Nickels & Dimes ~ Electric Nights NEW DISK
* Patrick Lehman ~ Games ~ Butchy's Son ~ JUNO NOMINEE Best R&B / Soul Recording
* Majid Jordan ~ Small Talk ~ Majid Jordan NEW DISK
* Nitza ~ Cold Winter ~ Ageless
The Herbalizer ~ The Sensual Woman ~ Mercenary
John Grant ~ Disappointing ~ Gray Tickles, Black Pressure
* Rae Spoon ~ Wrestles With Death ~ Armour NEW DISK
Ashford & Simpson ~ I'll Be There For You ~ Count Your Blessings
6:30 Up-gifting Sentiments
* Joe Hall ~ Baby Let's Go Shopping ~ Travelling Without Deodorant / The Best Of Joe Hall ~ @ Tranzac Saturday 6:30
* Old Man Luedecke ~ Baby We'd Be Rich ~ I Never Sang Before I Met You EP @ Winterfolk XIV this weekend JUNO NOMINEE Best Traditional Roots Album
Squarepusher ~ My Red Hot Car ~ Go Plastic
* Mike Janzen ~ All Gift ~ Nudging Forever NEW DISK
MNO's Remix ~ Some Like It Hotter ~ Cinematic / Classic Film Music Remixed ~ with Toronto Music Listings
Theme From Carrie (Gaudi Remix) ~ Cinematic / Classic Film Music Remixed
Friday, February 12, 2016
are headed for a Toronto show at The Burdock next Friday & Saturday.
(Special Guests Dave Bidini Friday & Laura Barrett Saturday btw).
From a frozen locale en route, Kevin will be calling in for a report on his goings-on early on in the show, so don't dawdle...
Onion Honey will also be making an appearance at 5:30 to showcase some tunes that they will be playing onstage at Winterfolk XIV, which commences this evening and runs until Sunday all over the Broadview / Danforth neighbourhood.