Corby's Orbit

Corby's Orbit
Listening in All the High Places illustration by John Kricfalusi

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Documentaries Of Consequence

With the Hot Docs Festival approaching, certainly two features seem  highly involving:



 How To Prepare For Prison follows the story of three people facing prison for the first time, directed and shot by Matt Gallagher.Screenings: Fri., Apr. 29, 6 p.m. at the Scotiabank Theatre, Cinema 3, Sat., Apr. 30, 10:15 a.m. and Sun., May 8,3:30 p.m. at the Isabel Bader Theatre


And John Walker's latest, Quebec My Country Mon Pays focuses on the Montreal-born filmmaker's complicated relationship with the province, where his roots go back 250 years. It's a film brimming with love and longing. 

The film screens at Hot Docs 2016 on Saturday, April 30 at 6:45 p.m. and Tuesday, May 3 at 12:30 p.m. at the TIFF Bell Lightbox, with an encore presentation on Sunday, May 8 at 3:45 p.m. at Scotia 14.

 “My entire adult life, I have continually asked myself 'Why did I leave Quebec?' It's a question that haunts me,” says John, now based in Halifax. “I feel so connected to the place, but never at home there, and I wanted to explore that in a very personal way.” We last heard from John on an edition of the Orbit that dealt with his revelatory 2010 documentary, A Drummer's Dream. 


John Walker will be calling into the Orbit at the top of the show to parlez with us on topics filmique and Quebec-wise.
Be aware or despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment